As a football coach, I can’t say enough about how important it is to have a good pair of football girdles. Football is a sport with a lot of hits and contact. If you don’t take the right steps, it can defeat the point!
In football, you often have to use your body as an offensive and defensive weapon. But that doesn’t mean you have to come home with bumps and sore muscles. You need special football shorts with pads to protect yourself from getting hurt.
Today, I’m only going to talk about the kinds of girdles I know well: the 11 best football girdles to wear, whether you’re just training, already playing full-contact football, or just getting ready for the new season.
1. CHAMPRO Adult Tri-Flex Integrated 5 Pad Football Girdle – Best Overall Girdle
- FLEXIBLE: The Tri-Flex cushion system provides the…
- BUILT-IN PADS: The contoured, ventilated thigh pad…
- COMFORTABLE: DRI-GEAR technology wicks away…
- COMPRESSION FABRIC: Made of a Poly/spandex blend,…
- CUP POCKET: A built-in cup pocket provides space…
The protective Champro 5-pad football girdle was made with your safety, flexibility, and mobility in mind. It has extra padding and a Tri-Flex cushion system.
They have a ventilated and shaped thigh pad system that goes all the way up to the waist for extra protection and comfort.
The spandex and polyester in the fabric make it flexible and good at wicking away moisture. The quality of the material allows it to dry quickly and let air through.
Also, the thigh pads are reinforced with hard plastic, so they can take a lot of impact and shock and keep you safe. Don’t worry, the hard plastic is well padded to make it as comfortable as possible and keep it from rubbing.
This football girdle is the best way to keep your most important body parts safe without making it hard to move around. The Champro Tri-Flex 5 Pad Football Girdle does a great job of supporting the thigh and bottom muscles and preventing bruises and cramps.
- Comfortable compression fit
- Rigid plastic shock plates to enhance protection
- A cup pocket
- Moisture management fabric
- 5 Pad Football Girdle
- Relatively thin pads compared to other football girdles in its price range, although it allows for extra football side pads
2. Shock Doctor Shockskin Lax Relaxed Fit Impact Short – Best Extra-Cup Protection
- IMPACT PROTECTION – Provides added shock…
- COMFORT – Integrated fabric and vented foam pads….
- CARBON CUP – Advanced multi-stage impact…
- PERFECT FOR – Any activity that requires some…
- CUP RETENTION SYSTEM – Integrates a wraparound…
The name of Shock Doctor belts tells you everything you need to know about them. The only things they didn’t say are that these shorts are airy and can be bent.
They have a protective but loose fit for people who like to be able to move around more. The pads fit perfectly around the hips, tailbone, and thighs to protect them.
The Shock Doctor girdle has an elastic-hemmed cup lock system for flexibility and comfort. This is a great way to avoid constantly fidgeting and adjusting. On the cup, it is made with Ultra Carbon Flex Cup technology to absorb shock impacts of up to 100 mph away from the vital organs.
This girdle is perfect for top football players who want a little more movement than most football shorts give them.
You’ll love them if you don’t like how tight regular football shorts are. With the high shock-absorbing feature, you have a pair that can handle the roughness of the game.
- Vented protective pads
- Carbon Flex Cup technology for high absorption
- Relaxed fit for extra freedom of movement
- SHOCKSKIN integrated fabric and pad foam to wick moisture away from the skin
- Stylish design
- The tailbone pad could’ve used a bit more cushionin
3. Under Armor Men’s 6-Pad Football Girdle – Best Standard Girdle
- HeatGear fabric, with all the benefits of UA…
- Stretch-mesh panels deliver strategic ventilation
- 4-way stretch construction moves better in every…
- Material wicks sweat & dries really fast
- Under Armour’s mission is to make all athletes…
When you put together a stretch mesh panel design, HeatGear sweat-wicking fabric, and anti-odor technology, you get a pair of football girdles that are very comfortable to wear for a long time.
You’ll also be able to move around with ease and confidence thanks to the four-way stretch material and reinforced seams.
These Under Armour shorts are the best when it comes to flexibility and weight. Even though these pants are tight, the 4-way stretch fabric makes it easier to move while keeping your muscles in place.
It doesn’t have pads sewn in, but it has six pockets where you can put pads that you buy separately.
This pair is great for people who worry that they might sweat too much. It keeps you cool because the material pulls sweat away from the skin. Microbes that cause odours are stopped from growing by the anti-odor technology.
The overall fabric is stretchy, so you won’t be limited. The only thing that might make you not like these is that they are white. At the end of the game, we all know what white shorts will look like.
- Pad pockets allow you to customize your preferred padding,
- Soft-touch fabric making them lightweight
- Can be worn without pads as underwear
- Anti-odor technology
- It doesn’t include pad
4. Cramer Skill 7-Pad Football Girdles – Best Durable Girdle
A good pair of football girdles needs to be tough enough not to tear or stretch when you make a tackle but also light enough that you can move freely whether you’re in the scrum or jumping high for the ball.
This is the point of the Cramer Skill 7 football girdle. The 5/8″ foam pad’s small size makes it easy to move around while still providing full protection.
The fabric pulls moisture away from the skin to keep you cool and dry, and the grip material on the waistband keeps the shorts in place while you play. This football girdle has a mesh crotch panel that lets air in and helps keep your groin dry and comfortable. It also protects your groin.
- Less cumbersome, thanks to reduced foam design.
- Mesh crotch panel for breathability
- Rugged for durability and high impact
- Stitching could use more reinforcemen
5. Nike Pro Compression Hard Plate – Best Moisture Wicking Football Girdle
- Lightweight, low-profile, 6mm De-Tech padding on…
- Plastic hard plate protection on thighs. Elastic…
- Features Dri-FIT stretch mesh. Camo print details….
- Benefits Dri-FIT fabric helps keep you dry and…
With Nike Pro’s moisture-wicking technology and mesh all over, you’ll stay dry and comfortable from the first whistle to the last.
The comfortable De-Tech foam padding on these football shorts will protect you from hits on the field.
They have hard plates on the knee, thigh, and tailbone to absorb more shock. Flat, well-done seams make it easier to move, and the compression fit gives you support in all the right places.
The dry-wicking stretch mesh fabric all over these Nike Pro shorts will keep you dry and cool while you play.
- Dry wicking fabric
- Flat, well-done seams
- No cup pocke
6. McDavid Rival Hex – Best Quick Drying Football Girdle
- Flex air protective padding with integrated…
- 5-Pad impact protection coverage at hips, thighs…
- Four-way stretch mesh at groin area and inner…
- Bio-shape design provides comfortable compression…
- Ultra comfort fit waistband and dual layer front…
McDavid’s number has hard-shell thigh guards that are shaped to match the way your body moves and make you more mobile. The 9mm hex design and hardshell pads are meant for full-on game combat.
Even if you’re not an elite athlete, the McDavid Girdles 5-Pad Football Girdle has a lot of helpful features that will help you perform at your best. HDC moisture-wicking fabric keeps you cool and dry so you can focus on what’s important.
This pair is ideal for me because it is both comfortable and equipped with moisture management technology.
This football girdle is for people who like to stay 100% clean when they practice or play. It’s something you can wash and wear every day. It has a pocket for a cup insert.
- hDcmoisture management to keep you dry in high heat areas
- Super flexible
- Cup pad inserts are sold separately
7. Nike Pro HyperStrong Hardplate – Best Small Padding For Big Protection
This Nike girdle is tough and will last a long time. It is one of the best football girdles on the market right now.
As the name suggests, it has tough, textured padding in areas that get the most wear and tear. This football girdle is made so that your centre of gravity stays the same while it steadily absorbs impact.
The fabric moves with your natural stride and fits your need to move quickly. It is both comfortable and very light because of the way it fits. It has mesh panels that let air in and keep your body temperature from rising when you don’t want it to.
The flat seams on this top make it less likely to irritate. It protects you all around without limiting your movement.
- Reinforced padding on all high impact areas
- Moisture-wicking technology
- Flat seam design
- Hyper strong design
- Responsive to your movement
- Mesh panels for sweat management
- No cup pocke
8. Adidas Techfit Ironskin – Best Innovative Technology
- Ventilated climacool keeps you cool and dry
- techfit focuses your muscles’ energy to generate…
- Poron XRD Pad System absorbs impact, hit after hit
The Techfit technology in these Adidas shoes is what makes them stand out. It focuses the energy of your muscles to give you more speed, power, and endurance.
Even though the Adidas girdle fits well, it has a ventilated climacool that keeps you as cool and dry as possible. This football girdle is a great choice if you want to train or play in something that makes you feel like a pro.
The polyester and spandex fabric is very soft and comfortable, but it is also strong enough to handle a tough game. Also, the soft, stretchy waistband makes these pants more comfortable to wear.
Because these shorts are made of a tough material and have textured padding, they can take a lot of abuse.
- Sturdy, reliable padding in all the right areas
- Focuses your muscle energy for increased power
- Ventilated design
- A bit too tight. You can buy one size up to get a better fit
9. Wilson Adult GST – Most Lightweight Football Girdle
- Single density foam absorbs impact
- Pads bonded to fabric – Hip, thigh and tailbone…
- Compression fit
- Moisture wicking material
The Wilson football girdle is comfortable, stylish, and useful because it has a moisture-wicking fabric and low-profile, single-density foam pads.
The compression fit on these is great, and they’re made to fit your body in a way that makes it easier to move around. These pants are stylish and offer some protection without being too expensive.
- Compression fit
- Moisture-wicking technology
- Single density foam to reduce bulkiness
- Protective pads are a little too thin
10. Sports Unlimited – Best Value For Money
- Seven pad protection for your hips, thighs, knees…
- Flexible foam padding built to flex with your…
- Hard thigh pads provide addition protection for…
- Embossed Sports Unlimited shield logo on thigh…
- Breathable, ventilated foam in mesh panels
This football girdle made it into the top ten because it has hard thigh and knee pads that can handle the weather and impact.
The material as a whole and the crotch and side panels that have vents help keep you cool and comfortable. It also keeps odours from building up because it lets a lot of air in.
These are a good deal. material that is easy to clean and feels soft to the touch for more comfort. Because the seams are strong, you can tell that these pants are made for work in the field.
- Good value
- Seven integrated pad design, including knee pads
- Flexible fabric to increase comfort
- Seams made to reduce the risk of chafing
- Functional pants but not the most stylish in that price rang
11. TUOY Men’s Padded Compression Pants – Best Full Length Football Girdle
- Breathable, Quick Dry and Moisture Wicking
- High Elasticity and Tight, suitable for protection…
- 7 PCs professional foam padding provides good…
- Great for football, basketball, baseball, rugby,…
- Notice: cool wash it gently by hand, hang/lay flat…
Tuoy’s silky-feel full-length girdle is ranked seventh.The breathable polyester and spandex material on it offers a good, flexible compression fit without feeling too restrictive.
The fabric is very quick-drying, anti-odor, and moisture-wicking. It features a tailbone bumper and integrated knee, hip, butt, and thigh protection pads to absorb impact hit after hit.
The fabric is silky and responds to your natural stride like a second skin to enhance persistence of movement. It is both comfortable and very light because of the way it fits. The stitching and no-slip leg and waist bands add to the durability of these
The flat seams on this top make it less likely to irritate. The full-length element offers overall protection without limiting your range of motion.
- Reinforced padding on all high impact areas
- Moisture wicking anti-odor technology
- Durable flat seam design
- Responsive to your movement
- Full length
- A full length compression girdle may prove a little too restrictive so lookout for that
Best Football Girdles – Our Buying Guide
What Is A Football Girdle
A football girdle is a way to protect your lower body. They are a pair of football compression shorts with pads on the thighs, hips, tailbone, and, in some designs, even the knees.
In the middle of some styles, there is also a protective cup. Even though direct blows to the groin are rare, they can be very bad if you don’t have the right safety gear.
What Does A Football Girdle Look Like
Even if you don’t count women’s corsets, there are thousands of different types of girdles to fit a wide range of needs, skill levels, and budgets.
As a general rule, football girdles should be comfortable, breathable, flexible, long-lasting, and of good quality overall.
Most football girdles fit tight against your skin to protect your muscles and keep them in place so that they don’t get strained or build up lactic acid.
They also have pads for your hips, thighs, crotch, and tailbone that are either permanently sewn in, have standard pockets for inserts, have a combination of both, or can be taken out.
Before you can find the best football girdle for you, you need to know what kind of girdle you want. Know where you play, how old you are, and how good you are.
For defensive positions, you need a well-padded design that is tough and long-lasting but doesn’t take away from your flexibility. As a coach, I have to go for comfort and warmth in the winter because the sidelines are usually too cold.
Once you know what kind of football girdle you need, look for ones that fit within your budget and give you exactly what you need to improve your game.
Check out our detailed buying guide for football gear below and choose the girdle that fits your needs best.
Different brands make football girdles with different styles and types of padding to help you absorb more impact and stay cool. Some girdles have pockets for pads, so you can change the thickness, quality, and feel of your pads.
There are four different kinds of padding. They are:
- Standard girdles have pockets on the thighs, hips, and tailbone where you can put your own padding. The winner here is the Under Armour Men’s 6-Pad Football Girdle Pants.
- Integrated girdles have padding built right into the thighs, hips, and tailbone. The Champro Tri-Flex 5-pad football girdle is a good example.
- Half-integrated girdles have protective pads and inserts that are sewn in. The McDavid MD7414 Rival Football Girdle is a good example. It has thigh, butt, and hip pads sewn in, but it also has a cup pocket where you can buy extra padding to put in.
- All-in-one football girdles come with a full set of protective padding. However, unlike pads that are built into the girdle, these pads can be taken off or replaced as you see fit.
No matter what kind of padding design you choose, make sure the pads don’t move around and are tightly fastened in place so they are comfortable and work well.
When it comes to the best football girdles, extra parts can sometimes make all the difference. If you take care of your body and wear the best girdle pants, you’ll be able to play longer, harder, and at your best.
Each of the girdles on the list has a unique feature that makes it stand out from the others. For example, the Sports Unlimited 7-pad girdle has knee padding to protect your kneecaps even more.
Modern football girdles have mesh panels between the thighs and crotch area to improve airflow, dampen hot air, and keep the vital organs cool, dry, and comfortable.
The Adidas Techfit Girdle has a climacool design that lets air flow through it to keep you as cool and dry as possible.
Choose girdles with moisture-wicking technology to keep sweat from staying on your skin, which can be pretty uncomfortable and irritating to the skin.
Bacteria from sweat can cause infections and bad odours, so it’s important to have technology that moves sweat away from the skin.
Good football girdles are made from high-quality materials that can last in all kinds of weather.
The strength of the fabric should make sure that they work year after year. Look for synthetic materials that can stretch and have a seamless or reinforced seam design.
Nike Pro HyperStrong Hardplate Graphic Football Shorts are a good choice for this category. People love these Nike girdles because they have extra padding and flat seams that don’t come apart when you wash them.
High-quality sports clothes can be found from brands like Nike, Adidas, McDavid, and Champro.
You don’t want something that rubs against your skin easily. Your girdle should be made of a fabric that is strong, soft, breathable, and easy to move in.
Most football girdles have a waistband made of nylon, polyester, silicon, or spandex. Most football pants made with spandex fit well around the body. Some brands use up to four different types of fabric to give the best comfort, protection, durability, and mobility.
Cotton is soft and comfortable, but it may not be as good at wicking away moisture as other synthetic fabrics.
If you like a good pair of girdles that work well and look good, you know why this is important. The Shock Doctor Shockskin girdle has an amazing, aggressive style and colour, and it can be set up in a lot of different ways.
Style is always important because if you look good, you will play well.
Value For Money
“What you pay for is what you get.” Make sure your money is well spent. Check out all of the features, compare the materials, and decide on a fair price.
Both the Cramer Skill Seven Pad Girdle and the Wilson Adult Girdle have a low-profile compression fit that gives you the most freedom of movement and makes you look less bulky. These pairs will work for you if you play positions that require speed and agility but less combat.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Know The Right Size Girdle For Me?
Check out the football girdle size chart below for a general idea of how to measure. Keep in mind that this is not an exact chart because girdles from different brands come in different sizes.
|Youth Small||22″ – 24″|
|Youth Medium||26″ – 28″|
|Youth Large||30″ – 32″|
|Small||28″ – 30″|
|Medium||32″ – 34″|
|Large||36″ – 38″|
|XL||40″ – 42″|
|2XL||44″ – 46″|
|3XL||48″ – 50″|
How Tight Should A Football Girdle Be?
The last thing you need is for someone to pull on your pants and show your behind or for you to have to keep adjusting your girdle. Make sure the waist and hips are a good fit.
You can try them on and see if they fit well by pulling them down or moving the padding around. Compressed pants are much easier to move in because they feel and act like your second skin.
Must I Wear A Football Girdle?
Must you sustain injuries? Football is a rough game, so you need to wear your girdle. A football girdle protects areas that get hit and touched a lot, like the hips and thighs, and makes it much less likely that someone will get hurt.
What Are The Benefits Of Girdles
Since the compression makes your blood flow faster, your muscles get more oxygen. This keeps lactic acid from building up, so your muscles won’t be sore after the game.
If you take care of your body and use the best football girdles, you will be able to play better, longer, harder, and at your best.
It’s always smart to play hard and enjoy the game without putting your body in harm’s way by exposing it to the elements and the brute force of football.
You can’t really do that without a good pair of football-specific padded underwear, can you?
We are always happy to hear your questions, stories, ideas, and points of view. Please leave a comment below, and we will be sure to respond.